Why Should You Spend Time with Kids in Nature?
Stock photo via Dreamstime Stock Photos
If you have kids, then you would want them to grow up enjoying life to the fullest. You would also want them to be healthy with better immunity. The best way to ensure this is to allow them to spend time in nature. When you take kids outdoors, they would have an enjoyable time and a holistic experience.
Kids of today’s generation spend a lot of time indoors in front of devices. It is important that as a conscientious parent, you take your kids out. Spend them with them in nature, so they get to enjoy all the benefits of outdoor activities.
Reasons to spend time with kids in nature
1) Enhanced health and immunity
Kids who spend time indoors live in a protected environment. They aren’t exposed to dirt and common bacteria. This makes them vulnerable if they are infected even by common bacteria. If a kid spends time outdoors they get to play in the dirt and are exposed to various bacteria. Such repeated exposures will make them get immune to those bacteria.
When a kid spends time outside, they get the sunlight needed to produce vitamin D. It helps avoid vitamin D deficiency. Playing outside helps them to be fit. When they run around and play outside, they improve their fitness level. They also burn calories at play. It helps them avoid becoming obese, which is a common problem today.
2) Creates awareness
Kids need to understand nature. They need to understand the importance of nature in our lives. They should understand the world of plants and animals. Most importantly, they need to learn that plants and animals are living being just like us. They can be taught to plant a sapling and watch how the plant grows.
3) Helps enhance their imagination and creativity
When children spend time outdoors amidst nature, it helps stoke their creativity. They improve their ability to imagine things when they play in nature. They take in the sights, sounds, and smells outdoors and learn new things. This helps them interpret things in different ways. They also develop new insights that will help them in life.
4) They understand the importance of the environment.
It is very important for kids to know about the environment. They need to understand why it is important to protect the environment and what it means to them for the future. The best way to understand this is not in a classroom but amidst nature. When you take them outdoors, you can show them things. You can explain the interrelationship between humans, animals, and plants. They will develop a love for the environment when you do this.
5) Helps in reducing anxiety
Anxiety and stress are common problems. Sadly, it is not just adults who experience this but even kids. Small kids also experience anxiety due to various reasons. They also get stressed and this affects their mental health. Young kids can develop depression due to such problems. While there are many ways to reduce anxiety and stress, the best way to do it is to spend time outdoors.
Spending time outdoors helps them soak in the natural atmosphere. The fresh air helps reinvigorate them. This helps them reduce cortisol levels which reduces stress. When they run around and play, it helps produce endorphins. These feel-good hormones can be very helpful in reducing stress.
6) They gain confidence
It is very important that kids gain confidence and resilience. These are traits that are very important for their future lives. Spending time outdoors in the environment can help them be more confident. This is why kids in Japan go to forest kindergartens where they learn outside. This helps them learn in natural surroundings, which makes them learn better.
Another activity that many Japanese children enjoy is mori no tanken. This is a forest adventure where children are taken to a forest to enjoy nature at its best. They learn to climb trees and hills. They get their feet muddy, and hands dirty, and enjoy the experience. Such activities help them be more confident. They learn to be independent.
Activities kids can do outdoors
There are many things you can do outdoors with your kids. These activities are those that they would enjoy the most. They help your kids appreciate nature. It also helps them be physically fit which is good for their health. Here is a list of some of the activities you can do outdoors with your kid.
- Take your kids to a forest, so they see plants and animals in their natural environment. They can understand the importance of forests and greenery in our world. They can see animals in their natural surroundings, which will help them learn to respect animals.
- Take your kids to a river or lake. Let them understand how water bodies support life. Let them learn about the animals and birds that live near lakes and depend on water. This will help them appreciate nature better. They can also swim in the water (supervised by you), run around, and have fun.
- Take them to a farm, so they can see how food is grown. They can learn about crops and see how fruits and vegetables grow. This will help them appreciate the value of food.
- Make them plant a sapling at home. Give them the responsibility of taking care of the plant. Help them to use fertilizers and teach them how to water the plant. You can grow vegetables and fruits at home with their help. When they eat the produce they have helped grow, they learn to respect nature.
- Take them to a park nearby where they can play outdoors amidst plants and trees. They will enjoy the play and be physically fit. Doing this outside in the sun will help their bodies produce vitamin D, which enhances their immunity and improves bone health.
- Take them to a zoo where they see different animals and learn about them. They will enjoy the experience. Then take them to a sanctuary or national park where they see the same animals in the wild. This will be a valuable lesson about nature.